Category Archives: Task 3: Bombay Sapphire project – Post Production

Task 3: Bombay Sapphire Project – Post Production

EDITING PROCESS

Once all footage is captured for a film it’s time to put the video together.
After the film footage, and audio files, were saved onto a file on the Mac; a new project was opened. The first thing to do was to import the footage and files onto premier. As an editor it is my job to read the script by the Director, Bradley, and put the film together through that.

Most films, including this one, will open up with a ‘Fade In’ effect.
The reason why I chose this for the opening the film is that – symbolically – it could give the idea of ‘rising the curtain’ like at the opening a play. The telling of the story begins, and we are brought in to view the story – whether we witness the begging, middle, or end (Although what happens when we see the story from the middle, or end, is that we will see a flashback – to help us understand why, and how, the character are in that place.)
The ‘Fade Out’ at the end of the scene is a common choice for giving the idea that time is passing.

Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 10.05.35

When working with the footage from the ‘GoPro’ I was face with the problem that the footage game out upside down. But the simple way to rectify this was just to simply rotate the footage. Once clicking on the chosen footage I simply went onto the ‘controls’ setting and clicked on ‘rotation’. From there it was just a simply matter of putting in the keypoints to set the footage in the upright position through out the clip.

Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 10.54.05

As I worked with Audio footage that was recorded with a Yamaha handheld recorder HN4. There were times when I needed to cut the sound just a bit more. So instead of deleting the track – then redo the setting on the ‘controls’ – I simply used the ‘CUT’ tool. I would listen to the track carefully, then cut where it was needed.

Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 11.40.05

Once I had all the visual side of the film completed, and I liked it, it was then to make sure that the audio was at the right level. Not too quiet so that the audience can’t hear it, nor too loud that it drowned out the other audio. This task, once again, required the ‘Controls’ only this time I needed to click on ‘Volume’ then ‘Level’. The process was similar to doing the ‘Fade In’ and ‘Fade Out’ to the footage – this was done to the music at the begging and end. Once the required key points were placed, I then moved them as needed.
However if the footage was to run through a particular shot then I just simply moved the level line down.

Screen Shot 2014-11-07 at 13.35.48

Below is my final edit (All footage was recorded by my group, the music and phone sound effect came from – http://www.freesfx.co.uk):